DAY: Democratic Activation of Youth
The European strategy on children’s rights, published in March 2021, assigns a primary role to participation.
The first pillar of the strategy provides for the participation of children in political and democratic life (art. 12 Convention on the Rights of the Child).
The project DAY – Democratic Activation Of Youth was designed to create and institutionalize a mechanism for youth participation in democratic life at local level in Municipalities II, IV and VI of the Metropolitan city of Naples.
The general objective of the project is to create and institutionalize a mechanism for youth participation in democratic life at local level through activities to promote the active citizenship of young people aged 14-18 from secondary schools.
The youths, experts in their democratic life, will be selected from the high schools and professional institutes of the three Municipalities and, guided by Fondazione L’Albero della Vita and the project partners, they will be trained and guided towards a relationship with the institutions (Municipalities, Campania Region and members of the Italian and European Parliament), to build together a lasting exchange that puts young people at the center of policy making processes.
In the process of promoting active participation, priority is given to inclusion, particular attention is paid to the involvement in the project of young people from vulnerable families at risk of poverty, young people with disabilities and with a migratory background.
The project activities
- creation of the Civic Agenda and promotion of it within the councils of Municipalities II, IV and VI of the Metropolitan city of Naples;
- advocacy at local level. Peer-to-peer meetings and meetings with administrations and civil society organizations to promote the model in the other 7 municipalities not involved;
- conference in Naples to illustrate the model to local and national stakeholders, civil society organisations, schools and young people;
- meetings with local authorities, members of the EU Parliament and peers for comparison and exchange of good practices with respect to the youth participation model created, also in other European countries;
- meeting in Brussels, where the delegation will have the opportunity to interact with European institutions to debate the opportunity to implement the strategy at local level.
Funder: CERV, Citizenship, Equality, Rights and Values (European Commission)
Partners: CIDIS ETS and Eurochild
Associated partner: Municipality of Naples
Place of implementation: Naples, with some national and european actions
The pilot is launched in Municipalities II, IV and VI
Duration: 18 months